J. Omnes

CHURCH OF SAINT MARTIN D'ARCIZANS-AVANT

free

About us

The Saint-Martin church, of Romanesque origin, was completely restored in the 1759th century. It is listed in the supplementary inventory of historical monuments. Its barlong (rectangular) bell tower with double imperial curved and covered with slates, dates from 59. In the middle of the roof, a steeple shelters a chimboulet, that is to say a small bell with a clear sound which announced the elevation during Mass. A small Romanesque chrism 1733 cm in diameter adorns the side door from XNUMX. A Latin cross replaces the usual P (Rho) and the classic omega in the form of W is replaced by a kind of whisk for beating cheese, the letter is suspended not on its usual branch of the X, opposite the alpha, but on the lower one; the alpha is glued to the circle and the S appears to be a snake at the foot of the cross. The sculptor seems to have forgotten the codes of the symbolism of the chrism.
The orientation of this church is quite original. It did not follow the usual east-west orientation (towards Jerusalem), but was built with a southeast entrance so that the sun could enter the church on St. Martin's Day (November 11) .
It was classified on March 21, 1975, in the additional inventory of the M.-H., and its last restoration, under the aegis of the architect of the BDF, dates from 1998.
Inside we have a circular apse, two side naves and a starry vault. Beautiful gilded altarpiece, Rococo, with four twisted columns where Christ and the Virgin, with Saint Martin, rub shoulders with Saint Peter (on the left) and Saint Paul (on the right) sheltered in false niches with Baroque decoration. In the attic, the Holy Spirit dominates the whole; on either side, two adoring angels. It would have been made with the tabernacle around 1750-1760. It is mentioned "completely new, very shiny and very delicately worked" in the pastoral inventory of 1781. It is also thought to be attributed (with the tabernacle) to CLAVERIE, because of its construction identical to that of Villelongue.
Lectern in polychrome wood. The stoup in black veined marble dates from the 1781th century. A second monolithic stone stoup, with clean lines, adorned on the base with four bezants is located near a side chapel. The first gallery with balusters dates from the XNUMXth century, it is possible that the second was added in the XNUMXth century; it is mentioned in the pastoral inventory of XNUMX. The monolithic baptismal font, dates from the XNUMXth century, it is protected by a double openwork curved door of very fine baroque style from the XNUMXth century. It resembles that of the church of Villelongue.
The side chapels are dedicated to Notre-Dame and Saint Pierre. In the one on the right dedicated to Saint Peter, an 1998th century canvas restored in XNUMX, thanks to the generosity of the inhabitants, presents the denial of Saint Peter. Its author is not mentioned anywhere.

The church is open for visits.

Sources: www.patrimoines-lourdes-gavarnie.fr

  • Theme(s):

    Church, Sacred art

Pratical information

Groups welcome
  • Permanent free visit not
Individual reception
  • Permanent free visit not

Rates & payment

Prices

  • Free free

Contact & access

Church Street
65400 ARCIZANS-AVANT